Position Title: GROUND SEGMENT ENGINEER
ALTEC is involved in the definition, implementation and operations of several Ground Segment projects in close collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA) and the Italian Space Agency (ASI).
Ground Segment in the aerospace domain consists of several centers distributed worldwide hosting complex and heterogenous elements, both hardware equipment (e.g. Ground Station, IT infrastructure, Communication Link, etc.) and data systems (e.g. Mission Control Software, Simulators, Mission Planning System, etc. ), that are interconnected with LAN and WAN networks using different technologies.
The Mission Control System and Simulation group the engineers and software developers who oversee the ground segment and the mission data system from definition to end of operations; it define the ground segment, it develops the mission control and simulation systems and support execution of mission operations on ground.
You will be part of the team that is in charge of all engineering aspects of the definition, development and maintenance of ground segment under the ALTEC responsibility.
You will work in close collaboration with the software engineers, data engineers, infrastructure engineer and mission operators during project phases.
You will be expected to endeavor for innovation and excellence in ground segment engineering within the aerospace domain.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & TECHNICAL SKILLS
- A MSc or equivalent degree in Computer / Electronics / Telecommunications Engineering with high score. Candidates with master’s degrees in other engineering areas with a path in the field of telecommunications networks will also be considered.
- Knowledge of space systems architecture and the operation of the ground station that allow interfacing the ground segment to the flight segment.
- Knowledge of the techniques and technologies for satellite telecommunications systems (e.g. LOS, BLOS), Software Defined Radio and DSP systems (e.g. GNURadio).
- Knowledge of the main network protocols such as: Ethernet, Wi-Fi, IP, TCP, UDP, DNS, SNMP, NTP, DHCP.
- Ability to analyse, design and implement complex (hybrid) LAN and WAN networks using different technologies (wired, satellite / mobile / etc.).
- Ability to analyze, design and implement mission control software systems (to be used mainly in the field of TT&C management in the aerospace sector) and data software system for the real time data flow management. It is required also the ability to address the necessary HW components needed to execute the data software system.
- Ability to use model-based techniques for systems design (e.g. UML and SYSML standards).
- Knowledge of the Linux operating system and scripting languages.
- Knowledge of at least one programming language between C, C++, JAVA e Python and the needed development environment.
- Ability to use debugging tools, perform troubleshooting and profiling an application running in a distributed environment.
- Knowledge of container technology and Docker in particular.
- Problem Solving.
- Result oriented.
- Operational efficiency.
- Fostering Cooperation.
- Relationship Management.
- Continuous Improvement.
- Knowledge of CCSDS and ECSS standards used for the life cycle of space projects.
- Knowledge of the DOORS tool or similar for the management and traceability of system requirements.
- Experience in integration and testing activities such as SVT, AIT and AIV.
- Basic knowledge of DBMS systems and SQL language.
- Knowledge of the latest generation of mobile phone systems and IoT.