Position Title: GROUND SEGMENT ENGINEER
ALTEC is involved in several Science and Technological Programs in the aerospace domain where ground segment is a relevant part to perform mission operations of orbiting infrastructure, planetary exploration systems and orbiting systems with reentry capability. ALTEC has the know-how and provides the competences to design, implement and operate either the whole ground segment or part of it consisting of ground stations, communication network, mission control centers, mission control systems and P/L control systems.
The Mission Control System and Simulation group host the computer engineers, software engineers and aerospace engineers who oversee the ground segment from definition to end of operations; it develops and integrates the mission control systems and P/L control systems, implements ground communication networks, interfaces ground stations and prepare mission control centers to execute mission operations. Moreover, it is involved in the definition, implementation and test of operational simulator needed to support ground segment validation, operations team training and mission operations preparation.
You will be part of the team that is in charge of all engineering aspects of the definition, implementation, integration, test and maintenance of software data systems related to the Mission Control Center nominal activities under the ALTEC responsibility.
You will work in close collaboration with the software engineer and infrastructure and network engineer and mission operation teams during project phases.
You will be expected to endeavor for innovation and excellence in ground segment engineering within the aerospace domain with focus on mission control system functions.
Among the main duties, you will be involved in:
- Analyze, refine and improve mission control system software and applications in an existing environment and infrastructure.
- Perform deployment, integration and testing activity of mission control system software, also managing infrastructure aspects.
- Define, design and implement extension to existing mission control systems or new ones to be developed, also addressing the necessary HW resources needed for deployment.
- Prepare system related documentation (Specifications, Design, Technical Notes, User Manuals, Test Procedures and Reports).
- Use of debugging tools, perform troubleshooting and profiling an application running in a distributed environment
- Support to the preparation and execution of System Validation Tests and System Operational Validation Tests.
- Participate to periodic technical meetings
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & TECHNICAL SKILLS
A MSc or equivalent degree in among software, computer and communications engineering with high score.
Knowledge of model-based techniques for system design (UML and SYSML standard).
Knowledge of Linux-based operating system and scripting languages.
Knowledge of JAVA and C++ programming languages.
Knowledge of the main network protocols and services (e.g. IP, TCP, UDP, DNS, SNMP, NTP, DHCP, VPNs).
Knowledge of virtualization mechanisms and basic knowledge of container technology (e.g. Docker or Podman).
Knowledge of MAVEN software project management tool.
Knowledge of software version control system tool such as GIT or equivalent.
Knowledge of continuous integration concepts and tools such as Gitlab CI or equivalent (e.g. Jenkins).
Knowledge of socket-based/message queue mechanism to manage data flow and data streaming based on message data exchange.
Basic knowledge of some observability software solutions (e.g. Grafana, Loki)
Basic knowledge of DBMS systems and SQL language.
They are not mandatory but candidates knowing them will be better evaluated:
Knowledge of Python programming language.
Knowledge of software quality and artifact management tools such as SonarQube and Nexus.
Knowledge of Ansible as DevOps automation system.
Knowledge of some data analysis and data visualization software solutions (e.g. Jupyter Notebook, DataStudio).
Knowledge of RF (Radio Frequency) communication and satellite communication protocols.
Basic Knowledge of Mission Control System concepts, mechanism and functionalities, including:
- Telemetry reception and decoding (Packet and Parameters)
- Telecommand preparation, encoding and releases aspects
- Mission Information Base / Mission Database management
- Connectivity with the Ground Stations
Knowledge of CCSDS and ECSS protocols typically used in ESA and NASA space programs, in particular CCSDS Transfer Frame and Space Packet definitions and ECSS Packet Utilization Standard (PUS) protocol.
Knowledge of the SCOS-2000 mission control system developed by ESA or of any other mission control systems.